Monday, October 10, 2011

Moves That Changed Our Lives

I'm gonna go old school for a moment (definition: things that were kickass during a younger generation). Now that I've leapt over the quarter century mark in my life, I feel I have the right to consider things I experienced and enjoyed as a child to be "old school". Most of you will be able to relate.

Movies are a tremendous part of why I am who I am today. They were the way my mother kept me out of her hair and kept me quiet. (And in the 90's .. it was either become a unique individual or pimp your snap on bracelet & jam to your favorite boy-band. The damage of 90's pop culture is permanent, so don't feel guilty that you have songs on your iPod that you don't want anyone to know about.)


In 1993, I sat in the very front row of the movie theatre with a friend to watch Jurassic Park. It was.. AWESOME. It totally changed my direction in life. From that moment -- I was 100% sure I wanted to be a paleontologist when I grew up. Even started studying more on the subject in my free time. This was the very moment, at 8 years old, when I become a true, full on geek -- because anything that affected me strongly became a subject of study for me, and I have learned everything I possibly could. Less then 20 years later, I get excited when Jurassic Park is on television, and I relive some of the same emotions of wanting to reach out and touch something long gone.

Other movies that impacted my life substantially:
All Tim Burton films (you should see what happens when I doodling and not paying attention. People always say it's like something out of a Tim Burton movie)

How about you? Can you think back to your younger years and pinpoint a movie that specifically affected your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment